My mom was visiting recently and whipped up this little gem of a recipe. It is so very easy and so great on the taste buds. And since it has cheese, meat, and a lot of flavor I have a feeling it will just be a man pleasing recipe in general.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1 lb pastrami or corned beef
- 1/2 bottle thousand island dressing (the original recipe calls for a whole bottle but I think it’s great with half)
- 1 can sauerkraut (drained)
- 1/2 to 3/4 lb Swiss cheese
- about 6 pieces of rye bread or however much it takes to cover the casserole
- 4 Tb butter, melted
Spray or butter a casserole dish lightly. Layer the bottom of the dish with pastrami or corned beef. Top with thousand island dressing, then layer with sauerkraut, then Swiss cheese and lastly with Rye Bread (lay full pieces of the rye bread across the top covering the rest of the casserole). Drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Yields: 8 or more