My husband loves bread, or any carbs for that matter, so I knew these would be a hit. I got the original recipe from the site below, and as usual I made a few of my own adaptations. My husband and I thought they were pretty biscuity, (which he loved) but if you want a little less breading then squeeze in as much filling as you can before baking. These are great for dinner or as an appetizer.
Prep: about 20 minutes with cooked and shredded chicken (about 30 minutes if using raw diced chicken)
Cook: 11-18 minutes depending on brand of Grands, Crescent Rolls, etc.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 small chicken breasts, diced (I used cooked shredded chicken for a faster recipe)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls (I used Grands biscuits)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs, optional
- 2 handfuls shredded Parmesan
- *any vegetables you would like in your pocket, I used broccoli
Directions: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken with the onions and garlic. (To save time I used cooked and shredded chicken I had on hand). Steam broccoli and/or any other vegetables you would like in your pocket.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 tablespoon softened butter until smooth. Stir in the cooked chicken, onions, garlic, Parmesan, and any steamed vegetables. Add the salts, pepper and milk. Mix well.
Separate the biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet. Use your thumbs to spread the biscuit really thin like a pizza. Dollop as much of the filling into the center of each biscuit and fold the corners up to seal. Brush the tops with the melted butter and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
Bake for 11 – 13 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serves: 8 pockets. About 3-4 people.
Original recipe: http://penniesonaplatter.com/2011/02/16/creamy-chicken-pockets-2/